From the Department of Public Works:
Rake Your Leaves into the Street Beginning October 1, 2018
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) announces that residents may rake their leaves into the curb lanes beginning Monday, October 1 and ending Thursday, November 15, 2018. Actual collection of leaves will begin on Monday, October 8.
Leaves and brush, along with other yard waste, are banned from landfills and must not be placed in garbage or recycling carts. DPW collects leaves, brush and yard waste separately from garbage and composts it, which conserves natural resources while saving the City money. Residents are also encouraged to mulch leaves and leave grass clippings on the lawn. This saves time and money, and adds nutrients to the soil.
Tips for a successful fall leaf collection:
- Rake leaf piles into the street but keep them away from storm drains and sewer grates
- Keep leaf piles away from the curb – give a one-foot space
- Place garden debris – plants, flowers, etc. – on top of leaf piles
- Do not put leaves in plastic bags; brown paper bags designed for yard waste are OK to use
- Do not put leaves in garbage carts
- Pumpkins – DO NOT PLACE THEM ON YOUR LEAF PILE! Compost them if they have no melted candle wax or decorations, or dispose of them in your garbage cart
- Do not put brush into the street – place it on the grass next to the curb. Call 286-CITY by November 30 for a pick-up. Brush is defined as woody stalks such as tree branches and bushes.
Sanitation staff collects an average of 15,000 tons of leaves each year between mid-October and the first week of December.
All City of Milwaukee households of four or fewer units should receive a DPW Fall 2018 newsletter in the mail in early October. This newsletter includes important information on:
- Recycling right and avoiding the “Dirty Dozen”
- DPW Sanitation dates to remember
- Hours/locations of City Drop-Off sites for leaves, brush, old electronics, appliances, furniture, and more
For more information – including how to find your leaf collection schedule – call (414) 286-CITY (-2489) or visit the DPW website at milwaukee.gov/leaves.